Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is used medically to treat post-surgery pain. The drug can also be illicitly manufactured, and many street drugs today are now laced with fentanyl since it is cheap, powerful, and difficult to identify. Fentanyl is considered 50 times more potent than heroin and 100 times more potent than morphine, so the rise in fentanyl-laced drugs has contributed to many drug overdose deaths.
Fentanyl comes in many different forms and can be added to a variety of other drugs. Even just a small amount of fentanyl can be enough for a fentanyl overdose. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has warned that even just two milligrams of fentanyl can be a lethal dose, yet they have discovered counterfeit pills with over twice this amount. Because of this, fentanyl is currently the most dangerous drug to consume due to the high chances of opioid overdose.
The presence of fentanyl is almost impossible to detect without using a fentanyl test kit. Each form of fentanyl is manufactured specifically to resemble the drug it is either lacing or meant to pass as. Powdered fentanyl looks just like cocaine or pure white heroin, while pills of fentanyl are made to look like Percocet or oxycodone. Fentanyl can also be pressed into pills that look similar to MDMA.
Fentanyl is odorless and tasteless which makes it incredibly difficult to detect. Test strips are the only sure method to make sure any drugs are not laced with fentanyl. Synthetic opioids such as fentanyl are responsible for over 150 deaths a day, so it’s important to make sure you do not accidentally ingest this drug.
When fentanyl is sold on its own and not made to pass as another drug, it can come in a variety of forms. This can include powder, blotter paper, eye droppers, and nasal sprays. Buying fentanyl intentionally can also lead to overdose, just as it can when accidentally buying fentanyl-laced drugs. Some people may believe their opioid use has given them a greater tolerance so they can handle fentanyl, but the high potency of the drug makes it extremely easy to overdose.